Friday, August 29, 2008

Prologue


This summer, I am doing a mountain bike ride with my Mom (aka Grammi) and son Richie. We are doing an 8-day section of the 'Ride the Divide' mountain bike route (Canada to Mexico, all within 50 miles of the divide, but mostly forest sevice dirt roads as opposed to hard core singletrack.)
--
The posts here are mainly taken from email reports I sent each night of the ride. I have added some post-ride edits, but for the most part the journal was written at the end of each day along the ride. For those of you who read the email reports, major additions here will be additional pictures, and captions. I'm adding a few pics in the body of each report, but click on the link at the end for a link to an album, where I have more pictures, captions, and the pics are much larger to see...the 'slideshow' button is a good way to view them.
--
The pictures I took were all taken from my 'hiptop' (mobile phone). The marketing name for this is the T-Mobile Sidekick LX. This takes relatively impressive pictures, though there is no ability to zoom or adjust the lighting. Still, not bad for a phone. Grandman had a better camera, and I have added some of his pics too. For instance, he gets credit for the nice shot above.
--
We are riding from Aspen Alley, WY to Salida, CO (over 300 miles.)

Here is an overall map showing the places we stopped each day. You can find a button leading to a more detailed map of each day's route at the end of the report for that day. As an example, we certainly did not take the most direct route to Kremmling from Gore Pass :)


View Larger Map

2 comments:

Paula Sweetman said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together. Since Kirsten, Jed, and I were not able to "share" this experience with you, this makes it much more memorable for us as well as you. We are so happy that the three of you were able to do this and hope that you will be able to continue doing things like this in the future. Rich and Richie are very lucky to have a Mom/Grammi that is excited and willing to do things like this and have a Grandman willing to help out too. I hope you all had the time of your lives and thank you for sharing it with me. I love you all. Love, Paula

goSonja said...

Wow Rich. I just got an email from Zingermans and every time I get one I think of you...since you gave me the best loaf of bread I have ever had in my life one Christmas long ago.

I googled you and ran into this awesome trip blog of yours. What a fun adventure and totally cool that you are still riding strong. You'll have to let me know about any future adventures, would love to follow along!!